Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Captive Heart

Title: The Captive Heart
Author: Dale Cramer
Publication: Bethany House Publishers, Minnesota, 2012
Genre: Historical Fiction
Number of Pages: 348

Courtesy of Barnes&Noble


Introduction:
A new stay-at-home-mom, I am constantly missing the hum-drum life of work on a schedule.  In order to pick up a little extra 'job', I subscribed to Bethany House Publisher's book review list.  I am always captivated by my go-to books: Historical Fiction.  I love how they draw me into the story, while the back of my brain is constantly taking notes on what to Google, to cross-check references in the book.  Because of my love for history and geography, I am usually keen to pick up a book about people and places I know little about.  In all honesty, I chose The Captive Heart because I had absolutely no idea that Amish had ever lived in Mexico.  It made me do a double take and almost made me laugh.  Maybe it's just me, but it just seems odd to think of Amish in Mexico.


Plot:
The Captive Heart is the second book of Dale Cramer's first series.  The story picks up in the second year of the Bender family living in Mexico.  As two different groups of families come to join them, alas without a minister, local happenings also change their lives.  Young lovers unite and reunite.  Births and deaths are watched.  Bandits that started out merely a mundane threat turn menacing.  One young couple must wrestle with their ideas of faith, honor, and family in order to determine how strong their love is and should be.

Review:
I would like to start off by saying "Kudos" to Dale Cramer.  This book went well beyond my expectations.  I must admit, there were times, especially at the beginning, where I groaned a little at the 'romanceness' of the writing.  I wasn't sure about what I had gotten myself into.  However, I refuse to pass judgement on any book that is not fully read.  I am very glad I kept reading.  Tension from the bandits seemed to loom around every corner.  I was constantly on the edge of my seat, and every time I realized that life was going well and seemingly getting better for the Benders and their friends, I knew it was time for tragedy to strike.  It was almost a crushing blow to me when the plot seemed to come to its head, I felt anguish for those suffering.  And then the thickening kept happening!  I wonder if maybe it wasn't too much, but the end result left my head swimming with loads of new information, so I was happy.  Now, I have yet to look up all those herbs and home remedies, but I am highly curious.
Something that struck me early on in the book, was the style of writing.  He wrote as the Amish may have spoke in English, even when not accompanied by quotations.  I was a bit annoyed with this at first, but eventually it went away.  I even got so used to it that when I finished the book and picked up my next book to read (written in modern lingo), I was actually taken aback again, having to readjust my way of 'thinking in text'.

Summary:
This is a good read.  It is a solid storyline, packed with random and useful info that I could almost guarantee most Americans don't know.  I am also a sucker for such scandalous adventure and stories based on real history.  It is almost sad that I didn't start with the first book in the series (Paradise Valley), and I am very much hoping there will be a third book soon!

Where To Buy:
I was actually given this book (for free) by Bethany House Publishers, in order to write a review.
You can contact Bethany House Publishers to see if there are still any copies available (you must also write a review).
Amazon: upwards of about $5.00
Ebay: upwards of about $5.00
Textbooks: upwards of about $5.00
Good Steward Books: upwards of about $7.00
Walmart: about $10.00
Target: about $11.00

No comments:

Post a Comment